This week I realized I've reached a cross-road in my life. I feel like somehow I've matured :) I guess glancing back into my full SUV made me realize that apparently I grew up and somehow along with this came some maturity. It's an odd feeling to come full circle, looking at photo's and realizing that I AM that parent of the High School kid. It's taking some time to get used to this idea but I think it has finally settled well within me.
I never imagined I would be the kind of person who would be able to give my friends and family advice. But somehow in our own way we are all able to do this. It's just odd to realize that people come to me for real life stuff, like how to raise their kids, or how to help them keep their standards or how to cook, clean or choose a doctor, it's just wonderful to know that I may be able to help and assist others with my years of knowledge and living. I guess I have "grown up". Bring on the white hair (because that's the color I choose for my old aging), White as snow please!
This week I ran into a bit of a conflict within my soul. I was reading a Facebook post from a friend and just had that gut instinct that something wasn't right about it. I just felt really sick for a moment and then sad, sad that somehow this world has turned into such a public display of our thoughts and feelings. Sad that my kids are growing up in a fiercely competitive and negative world, where people are more concerned about how many "friends" They have on the number count in the world of technology that they forget that the best friends are those who you see in person each day, those who can read the emotions on your face when a keyboard can so easily hide the true you and frustrations. I'm just overall sad that so many people use these technologies to "self promote" their negative or destructive ways of thinking. I wish for a more simple life, back to the days when we all just talked to people face to face, instead of Screen to Screen.
As I listened to General Conference last weekend, I was so glad to hear the words of a living apostle mention that these hand held devices, games and other technologies can be and are becoming addictions. I've been saying this for years. Our youth are honestly so out of touch, they live in a Cyber world and in my opinion it's going to be the downfall for many of them. It's tragic to see the bullying, violence and even in the news, deaths associated with other's needs to be able to "show in a public place" others imperfections or to make fun of them. I just pray everyday that my children will have the strength to resist the temptations they are faced with. I pray for the Young Women that I serve over that they will know of their worth in a world that would teach them they aren't worth much. It's a constant battle and I am in totally agreement with the statement "it takes a village to raise a child". We need each other to help, support and uplift one another. Criticizing and talking down about others will never lead you in the right direction. True friends know and live by this.
Saturday, October 9, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
What a true statement. We all need support, real person to person support. Thank you Wendy!
Wendy,
I love and appreciate you and the wisdeom you impart. I so want to be like you some day and can only hope and pray that in the next life I have the opportunity to be the kind of mother you are. You are the best and a true role model.
Post a Comment