So yesterday I posted this link on Facebook... "The tactic is now all-too familiar: take a statement out of context, embellish it with selective interpretation, presume hostile intent, and then use the distortion to isolate an entire group, in this case a church." Quote from the Deseret News article found in this link... I couldn't have said it better. It was followed up with "We encourage all to read President Packer's talk rather than simply rely on the media interpretations and selective quotations." So I'm going to do just that read it and I hope you will too.
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700072199/A-call-for-civility-following-Mormon-Apostle-Boyd-K-Packers-address.html?pg=2
I had seen so many negative posts from friends about this talk that I decided that this article really stated how I felt, "just read it for yourself and don't believe everything that others are saying". Also I think we have to be very careful about how we speak of our leaders.
I had a few comments and decided to post my reply here, as it turned out to be a novel...
I think at the end of the day we all do the best that we can when trying to be the best person that we are striving to be in this life, no matter what faith or non-faith you live by. I was raised to love everyone. My friendship circle would never exclude anyone! In fact, having lived near San Francisco, LA and now NY, my friendship circle is very diverse. I don't judge others for the way they choose to live. I do have my own beliefs as to how to raise my children and teach them as I believe God would want me to, that includes, loving everyone, but standing up for what I believe in no matter what the world would tell me to do. As do most people, whatever their beliefs might be, and yes there are times when I may stand on one side of something and my friends are on another, but I haven't found that my friendships have been harmed by having my own beliefs. I was very sad that this talk was was taken in such a negative way. I love President Packer and in all honesty, if you read and believe in books of scripture, this wouldn't be the first time that the Lord has used one of his servants to speak so frankly. I wonder if there are some who choose to listen to conference and pick out or find areas to criticize? I don't think that I agree with the "we need to pick our words carefully," In fact I believe that once we start doing that we find ourselves going down a very Sticky slope of trying to be "part of the world". I am so glad that we are each entitled to our own thoughts, opinions and beliefs, that is what makes our country so amazing. I know that God loves all of his Children, and if you believe in the Bible you know that God isn't always pleased with the choices his children make, but that is his plan, for us to choose. I don't think it does anyone any good to criticize or embellish anything or anyone, it ends up being negative all around. Take it for what it is, if you don't believe this is a Man of God then don't let it bother you so much that he too has his own opinion. I don't choose to criticize my friends of other faith's when they choose to believe or listen to their pastors or clergy. We still get to choose for ourselves how we feel and act each day no matter what anyone else may tell us. Thank you for those who have commented, I respect your thoughts and opinions as you do mine.
End of Comment... New thought below
So I wonder how many have read the Bible or Book of Mormon? If you believe it, then in my thought process, doesn't it just make sense for God to be open, honest and frank about what he expects of us? I don't recall the Book of Mormon "re-wording" anything so that some might not take offense. This world is becoming a very difficult world to live in, I remind myself that we just have to be careful and when we have questions, to seek the counsel from the Lord for the answers and not seek counsel of the "world" or our "friends", they can lead us astray even if they don't mean too, however, The Lord never will lead us astray. It's a very personal journey we are in on in this life, but there are also things we have to stand up for in order to keep true to who the Lord has asked us to be. I weep for those who can't find peace and have such discontent and anger in their lives. I know that through the Gospel of Jesus Christ we can find peace and happiness, but that it isn't easy, we all of "sins" that leave us falling short every single day. Again, the beauty of the Gospel, is knowing that Christ loves us and will, can and has made up the difference for our short comings through his Atonement. I also know that some struggle more than others with certain lifestyle choices, or behaviors, we all have things we struggle with, we (I) don't condemn anyone, we love all of our brothers and sisters, we stand up for what we believe God wants for his Children. That is what we can do. None of us are perfect and if we can just remember to help and lift others, no matter what they struggle with, we love even if we don't agree with choices they make in life. That' is what I believe Christ would do it.
Tuesday, October 12, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
I completley agree with you. It is really to bad that the media takes things soooo out of context. That's why we rarely watch the news at our house anymore. You can send the love to President Packer this week! He is supposidly having over 100,000 letters of hate mail delivered to him today. It really is so sad!
I had no idea there was that much reaction to Pres. Packer's talk. He spoke the truth, what more can we ask for?
Post a Comment