Monday, August 23, 2010

New Calling

I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed as I was just called to serve as our Young Women President.  15 months in the Primary Presidency, 15 months in the Relief Society Presidency have both helped to prepare me for this.  At least in part.  I am amazed as I look back over the past year and NOW realize the many moments and events in my life that were preparing me for this day.  I am nervous and excited and scared all in one.  I have to admit that I cried when the calling was first extended.  When asked about my emotional response, I really could only say that I was going to miss Relief Society and interacting each week with them.  But I think the bigger part of my emotions stems from knowing that this is a really sacred calling.  To help these Young Women prepare to make sacred temple covenants.  I am trying to put aside my own personal worries, mostly that I have 5 kids and a husband who works 15 hour (or longer) days.  This leaves me to get my oldest to seminary and now to plan, prepare and execute our activities as I don't have a counselor and may not for a while.  I know that if Heavenly Father feels that I am the right person for this, then I need to have enough Faith in myself that it will work out.  And that is just what I plan to do.

It was funny, I'd known for a week before I was sustained, I didn't tell my girls, I wanted to wait.  My older daughter Faith was shocked and upset (yes, the horror of having your own mother be the YW President is apparently very real)... although it did pass and I think we have come to a good understanding... she said "mom we need to lay down some ground rules"... I said "okay" she said.... "no embarrassing stories about me... NONE!".... I agreed.  My daughter Hailey turns 12 next month and will enter YW, she leaned over and said "Mom, I'm really excited and happy that you will be in YW when I come in next month" and then she gave me a hug.   Faith later hugged me but I think it has to be hard to have your parent as a leader so I'm going to try and balance it all... by the end of this I should apply to be in the circus as my "balancing skills" will surely be Super wicked!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess a congratulations is in order? I know you will do great, I can tell you are an awesome person!!!

Jenilee said...

How exciting and somewhat overwhelming. At least it was for me. Being in YW really is a great place to be. Good luck with the balancing act. You are going to do such a great job. Your daughters and the other YW are very lucky to have you.

Shaunab said...

Wendy, All I can say is you are the right person for the calling. If I had daughters, I would hope and pray they would have a leader half as wonderful as you. It may be tough for Faith at first but it will get better. Congratulations!! love ya

Laura said...

Wendy - you will LOVE young womens. I have been in there for a couple years now, and absolutely LOVE working with the youth. My biggest plug is PERSONAL PROGRESS! If you can get the girls focused and working on their personal progress, they will be leaps and bounds ahead as they prepare themselves to go to the temple.

You will do so great, and I know your girls will realize how great it will be having you in there with them. My Hailey comes in in October, and I can hardly wait! :)

Lynae said...

That's awesome and completely understandable why it's overwhelming! You will do fabulous...no doubt! Good luck! I hope it's a wonderful experience for you and your family.

The Christensen Family said...

You are the best!!!!! Hope all is well there. We miss playing with you! We got a new game, the YW would like it too....maybe. Dominion. Awesome. When you are in SL give us a call - we need to see you!!!
xoox