Friday, October 17, 2008

Holidays... they are getting out of control!

Does anyone else ever feel like the holidays are just a huge nightmare.... whatever happened to just simple family holidays? Halloween has turned into such a joke... when I was a kid we dressed up for school (On Halloween) and went trick or treating.... that was it... now let me make you a list of what our Halloween this year "could" be...

A Halloween party
Trunk or treating (but not on Halloween, so let's do trick or treating twice.... never agreed with it being on any day except Halloween, wasn't the point to make it a safe enviornment, not another party?)!
Church party
Adult Halloween Party
Trick or treating in town, down main street
Jack-o-lantern Blaze (yes, I love it)
Legends night in Sleepy Hollow (yes we live just minutes from Sleepy Hollow, NY, so they do the reenactment of the headless horseman)
School Parade
school parties
School dressing up contests
Neighborhood dinner and trick or treating

It just seems to be too much... can you imagine what the holidays will be like for our grand kids if this is what has happened in the past 15 years???? Why even have holidays... they last for days and even a week for what used to be one simple act (trick or treating)... it just seems like the "Americanized" holidays have become a joke... other countries mock and laugh at us... and in my opinion... they are right... we put so much into our celebrations... but how often do you find yourself spending day after day or week after week out working on a great "Cause" ... it just seems ironic that we find so much time and energy for something that was meant to me simple and one evening of fun. Sometimes it makes sense that other Faith's don't celebrate Holidays... they seem to take over our lives and we lose focus. I personally think we live in a world of over indulged and selfish people... and this to me just adds to that for the children who get whatever they want, there is no waiting for special occasions... because it seems like every day has turned into that "special occasion" and then we wonder why our world's economy is crumbling... too much self indulgence not enough accountability or self reliance... and yes this tangent started with a simple Halloween invite today that just made me think out loud.... IT'S JUST TOO MUCH!

Oh, and one more thought... It's NOT just Halloween... Thanksgiving, Christmas (don't even get me started), Valentines Day, St Patricks day (did we ever do anything more than just wear green?), Easter (another very commercial day for most), 4th of July, the list just never ends... where is our focus? Family first, don't over do it... that's my goal from this point forward... don't lose focus!

3 comments:

Shaunab said...

I hear you and I don't even have the children. Only do what you want to and what you can.

Sami Carter said...

I so agree with you! I was thinking that I have to dress my kids up four different times for Halloween this year. I am so irritated that our ward party is not on Halloween and they are doing a trunk or treat. That is the last thing I have money for is candy right now, and like my kids need it anyways! I think we will go to our ward party and turn the lights off on Halloween and go to bed early. Luckily my kids aren't old enough to know the difference! I agree with you on the other holiday stuff as well, it's not like you can even enjoy the holidays that are here. I went to the store the other day and they were moving thanksgiving and Halloween decor for there christmas stuff. Sorry for the novel!

Edna said...

I totally agree with every single word. We are an over indulged nation and spend far too much time and money on having fun celebrations. It's turned into a big competition, hasn't it. Lynn and I are trying to simplify our lives and it's hard to stick to our plan sometimes. We have given so much stuff to the DI this year and you'd never even know it we still have so much.