Monday, October 20, 2008

Wish List

This past weekend we had an enrichment activity about food storage... now I'll admit that it's been hard to store food in New York... we just haven't had the space... and now we have this huge home and the "what if" we move in a year has hindered me from doing much even with the space...

But I've decided there is something I can do... so my wish list for the holidays looks like this...

1st - A wheat grinder (if you have one and can recommend it, please, give me the type you have)

2nd- Home Canning supplies... I loved to do this with my grandmother and picking up an extra case or two from Costco every couple of weeks can really help stock my pantry.

3rd-Selfishly I really want one of those Fancy Waffle makers that you actually spin upside down... my sister Jaqui has one and I used in while visiting... I love it :)

So Mike and I have really started to think ahead to the holidays... for the past few years we've really tried to scale Christmas down... but I think that with the economy in such a rut... it's the perfect year to help our children realize that Christmas isn't about what's under the tree... so I'm going to do my best to implement the 3 gifts idea that my mom told me about years ago...

Each of the children will wake up on Christmas morning with one toy, a clothing item, and a book or something they can use in school... And of course a full stocking... that's it!

My previous post about Holiday's being out of control has left me soul searching and as much as I love a pile of gifts on Christmas morning and watching my kids... that's not what it's all about... so my goal is to keep the focus of Christmas where it should be. Wish me luck.

1 comment:

Edna said...

Oh I do wish you luck! It is hard to keep to that resolution but I know you will be glad if you do ... especially as your kids are getting older and into the really expensive kinds of stuff.