Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Getting ready for Thanksgiving!

Okay so I really suck at updating my blog... that's life as a mother of 4 living in NY! Sorry! I do my best to at least get pictures of significant events, although it appears that I've neglected to add any of the 3 September birthdays.... ugh... working on that!

So we had an amazing Stake Conference this weekend, I will never again complain about having lived in Utah and having an LDS church on every other corner... WHAT A BLESSING that is! We had to go into the BRONX, NY... imagine that... THE BRONX, the very same as you hear about on TV or see on TV shows or associate with the not so nice "gangster" type drug scenario's. YEP... that's us all dressed up in our Sunday best trying to find parking on a graffiti lined street, driving our Saturn instead of our Yukon so that if it does get "Tagged" Mike won't freak out as much. So that being said, after scoring one of the limited underground parking spots (like 40 at most) we made it to our meetings! Totally worth the 30 minute drive and parking madness! One of the members of our Stake Presidency spoke about how we are living our lives the thing that struck me the most from his words was the following:

If you're spending too much time at work your not spending enough with your family

If you're spending too much time with your family your not spending enough time focused on yourself
and eternal salvation is an INDIVIDUAL journey!!!
Meaning that we have to make sure we are preparing not only our families but ourselves for eternal salvation... personal scripture study, personal Prayer, personal time to strengthen our talents!
It made me cry... Sometimes as a mother I feel lost... not a bad thing but like I "WENDY" have been lost along the way of motherhood and wife and caregiver... a statement that I've heard many others say as well. It's true, somehow I've neglected myself and who I am, so I am determined to find myself again, I am going to set aside at least 30 minutes a day for just me, this in addition to my personal scripture study. I honestly believe that this will make me a better mother and wife, I'll try and keep you posted but the blog may suffer even more :)

The other talk that really made me thing was about being in "Harmony" with yourself and others, your spouse, your children, your extended family and friends. When things are in Harmony you are living the way of the Lord. For instance if you are in "Harmony" with your spouse, it can feel like you can conquer the world, when you are not living in harmony with each other, even small things can seem to trigger negative words or behaviors and feelings towards each other. How important this is to each of us if we desire the spirit to be with us to help us each day. We have to put forth the effort to make our lives harmonious.

And lastly the talk that Sis. Shimizu of the RS presidency gave on love one another and the scripture that she invited us to hear the new commandment again:

John 13: 34-35

34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

Even though we have all heard this before, her words struck my very core, she had a musical number in the middle of her talk, they sang the words to LOVE ONE ANOTHER from the hymn book, LDS Hymn #308:

As I have loved you,
love one another,
This new commandment,
Love one another,
By this shall men know,
Ye are my disciples,
if ye have love,
One to another!
A new commitment to a "new commandment" is my resolve! Loving as Christ did, unconditionally, no matter what... I will no longer allow small and unimportant issues to stop me from loving my family and friends because in the end these things DON'T MATTER! It is the person that matters,
BEING LOVED no matter what!
I love the Gospel of Jesus Christ, I am so thankful that I know that the gospel has been restored to the earth today, that my husband can hold the Priesthood (the power to bless us when we are sick or need to feel closer to our Heavenly Father). As I read the Holy scriptures and the events of the Bible and the cycle that takes place with the Lord providing a prophet as in times old to teach the gospel to the people, the people fall away, the prophets are killed or leave and the cycle continues, how wonderful to know that when Joseph Smith knelt down to pray to find out which church to join, he saw God our father and his son Jesus Christ in a vision and through this event the CHURCH of Jesus Christ has been restored to the earth in it's fullness. That we have a living prophet who leads and guides us with Christ at the head of this church, His church. I am beyond words of gratitude to my Heavenly Father who has blessed me with this in my life, that I was given this sacred gift of the gospel knowledge from my childhood from righteous parents who learned from their parents. I know that families are eternal that this life is a time for us to prove to our Father in Heaven that we want to follow him so that he can bless us through the eternities. My favorite children's Hymn is I am a child of God and I will leave that here today as I prepare for our holiday with a renewed desire to do the will of my Father and to follow his Son, my savior Jesus Christ:
I am a Child of God
and he has sent me here,
Has given me an earthly home,
with parents kind and dear.
Lead me, guide me, walk beside me,
Help me find the way!
Teach me all that I must do,
to live with him some day!
I am a Child of God,
and so my needs are great!
Help me to understand his word
Before it grows too late.
Lead me, guide me, walk beside me,
Help me find the way!
Teach me all that I must do,
to live with him someday!
I am a Child of God,
Rich blessing are in store,
If I but learn to do his will,
I'll live with him once more.
Lead me, guide me, walk beside me,
Help me find the way!
Teach me all that I must do,
to live with him someday!
(LDS Hymn #301)
That sums it up, every word the truth, I am child of God, he is the father of my spirit, he has sent me here to learn and grow and blesses me with family and friends to help me along the way. I hope I can find the way so that I can live AGAIN with him.
With love, Wendy

1 comment:

Shaunab said...

What a pick me up! You are a wonderful person and I appreciate your testimony so much. Thanks for sharing it. Love ya, Shauna