I honestly can't believe that it's only been a month since my sweet baby started sleeping in her own bed. I feel like I've lived months with all of the extra time I've had to read, keep up on my house, organize my closets, keep the laundry caught up, do yard work, read some more. I am simply amazed at how much more time I have in the day now that she sleeps on her own. It is so remarkable.
Life is so busy. I feel like the typical "taxi driver mom" that so many have talked about in life. From Baseball practice and games, to softball practice and games, the dentist, drama club, friends houses to hang out, doctors, shopping needs for school and personal wants, church activities and so many more places I seem to find myself driving weekly. How did this happen? I have really tried to heed to the counsel from our church leaders to spend time in our home, that it isn't necessary to have my children involved in so many "other activities" that they spend more time away from our home than in our home. I find this to be such the direct opposite of what the "world" would have you believe is necessary and needed in life. I know children who, after school, take a music lesson twice a week, a dance lesson, soccer, swimming and a language or religion class. I can see how parents feel that they need to educate and teach their children about these things. But in my opinion, this is TOO much, when do 5, 6, 7 and 8 year old kids, just get to "be kids". If they are participating in so many activities then when is there time to be in the home teaching the most important lessons in this life?
Oh, how I've struggled with this, because I am so against my children being overloaded with the "extras". It's hard to find a balance. So for my family we've decided to allow each of our children one activity once they are in 1st grade and on. It hasn't been easy, it definitely feels at times that we are taking precious time away from our family time, but I try and include the entire family when possible, like taking all 7 of us to little league games or Faith's School Sports. When I talk to other families they are shocked that we only do "one" extra activity per child. I find this to be so sad and yet so the "norm" in a world that so many times would lead you to believe that "other people or groups" can raise your children. And for me it's a sad world we live in, when families are torn apart because of these activities and by torn apart I mean that they are apart more than they are together each day.
I personally think it's better for our kids to have one thing to focus on, for instance, dance one year, a sport the next (or within the season) but not both at the same time. Kids can be so hard on themselves, striving for perfection and parental acceptance.
That's my soap box issue for today. I'm off to drive my kids to the park so they can play and be kids!
Friday, May 7, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
Wendy - AMEN! It is such balancing act indeed. We want to allow our kids to try everything, but I agree -- the best place to try out all those things can (and should) be in the home.
I love to see kids able to be kids -- it's when they seem to shine the brightest, so good for you & your willingness to set limits!
:)~L
I love the effort you put into your family. You have such a fun, amazing family.
I totally agree. Less is more when it comes to all the activities available.
Post a Comment