Thursday, May 29, 2008

It's Hailey's Turn for a health problem :)

Yesterday my morning started by taking Noah and Hailey to the doctor... Noah for a follow up from his scare last week (and he's totally fine now) and Hailey because around her right eye had swollen up and her eye lid was sagging... after 2 doctors looking at her and not 100% sure what was up they diagnosed her with this: (found it on Newsweek.com)

Orbital cellulitis
It is a rare, acute infection of the eye socket. It affects primarily children, and the onset is rapid and severe. Bacteria enter the orbit of the eye, often from an infection in the sinuses, a boil on the eye or eyelid, or a foreign object. The soft tissue lining becomes infected. In most cases only one eye is affected. This is an acute and dangerous infection and may require hospitalization and antibiotic treatment.

They started her on Augmentin... told me to return FIRST thing this morning and to be prepared to go the ER with her if things didn't look better. I guess they would have to give her a stronger antibiotic through an IV... yep, another mommy scare with a child in the Doctor's office... Thank heavens the antibiotic seems to be working; this morning her eye looked so much better so they sent us home!

I am even more thankful for healthy days than I have ever been in my entire life!

3 comments:

Kim N said...

I am sorry you have had such a rough year with illnesses and injuries. I am so glad her eye looked better this morning! That is really scary. I hope things continue to heal properly. Keep us updated.

Mumsy said...

Oh, Wendy. Are you guys ever going to get a break? I mean, not a break, as in bones....sorry, my attempt at humor. That sounds so awful! I hope she feels better soon. Let me know if you need anything!

Jenilee said...

HOLY COW! Your family deserves the biggest vacation this summer. Somewhere fun and exciting with no germs, nothing to cause a broken bone, and lots of relaxation. Ok, so maybe that doesn't exist, but a break is surely needed.