Well I've done it... me the girl who hates to fly, the girl who hates to do things alone... for those of you who didn't know that about me, it's true I hate to do anything alone, including grocery shopping, I would much rather have a baby with me just to say I'm not alone.. a fear of being alone.. maybe. Anyway... so last month I decided that I needed a break from my every day "MOMMY" routine... let me just back track for a moment in an attempt to justify this need of mine. When Mike and I got married I went to work full time within the first month of our marriage, he worked part time and was going to school. Faith arrived 16 months after we were married and even then I kept working full time, even after Hailey was born 2 years later I was still working full time until she was about a year and half and then I worked part time and from home, in fact I've always seemed to be doing something to make money for the family, from helping at our friends ColdStone Creamery in No. California to childcare in my home for families we know.
Well I've been blessed to be a full time stay at home mom since before Noah was born so almost 5 years now... I've loved every minute of it... that being said, it doesn't change the fact that sometimes every MOM deserves a break. I haven't left my kids (just me) EVER, Mike and I have tried to spend one night away for our anniversary, I think we've been able to get away 7 of the 13 years we've been married... not to bad, that's a night off every 2 years! So that leads us into my request to leave and go to Arizona to visit my sister Jaqui and be there for her girls baptisms... So I called Mike at work one day and just said... "I'm thinking about going to Phoenix... alone... for a long weekend, what do you think?" To which he surprised me... "hey maybe I have enough Frequent flyer miles that you can get a free ticket" GULP... not only did he support me wanting to run away but he was willing to find a way so that I could go. So needless to say I booked the flight, the rental car and called my sister.
I've been back for 2 weeks and as I've relected on my visit I can't believe how much I needed it. It was the first time in my life since becoming a mother that I could step out of my "Mommy" role and just be "AUNT WENDY" it was so nice to be able to spend time with my nieces and nephews. The daily phone calls to my kids and hubby were great, I realized how much I loved them, and yet I also realized that me doing something for me was alright. I've been stuck in the feeling guilty phase for having had to work those first few years we were married and haven't allowed myself to take a break. Note to all mothers reading this with young kids.... you need and deserve a break from time to time.
I came home refreshed and more in love with my kids and my husband. It was wonderful. I loved being with my family just spending 3 days talking, staying up late, playing board games (Catan is a great family game :) and being there for Maddysen and McKeilla's special day was such a blessing for me. Just being able to fly alone, rent a car alone, drive an hour in a city that I had never driven alone in before was very impowering to me! I think that I'm going to try and do this once a year! (ha ha ha) Maybe every 2 or 3 years :)
Wednesday, February 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




1 comment:
That sounds nice! I am glad you were able to go with with your family.
The only times I have ever been away from my kids and husband were only a couple months apart and were last year. One was for my uncle's funeral and the other was for my grandma's funeral. Not the happiest of circumstances to go back, but it was very relaxing and it was so nice to be able to sit and talk to my siblings and parents and not be chasing kids!
I agree that moms need to have THEIR time!
Post a Comment