Where to begin... I guess from the time I was a little girl I've always had "friends", I recall "going to play" with the neighbors.. No PLAY DATE was required, we just showed up at their door asking to play, what a wonderful memory (the play date thing some times really bugs me).
Okay.. Back to friends, so as I got older, say middle school age, it was harder for me to maintain "friendships", I think a lot of the silly "girl stuff"got in the way... Why are girls such jealous creatures?? I think that once I discovered "boys" that took any interest I had in keeping friendships with my "girl" friends alive. I have to admit, I was a total tom-boy, loved sports and hiking and anything where I was out numbered by the "boys" which wasn't hard since most of the girls my age were busy doing their hair and make-up and "going to the mall". I seemed to find myself being pushed to new levels by the "boys" in the neighborhood, for instance hiking nearly every day, one-on-one B-ball (I won at least 1/2 the time), trying to skate board (not a big fan), Long Bike rides, helping to build the "skating ramp" in a neighbors back yard, going to the "guys" baseball and football games, etc. Not to mention you can talk to boys, and it doesn't turn into a "oh he's so cute" kinda conversation if you catch my drift.
So I guess that is really where my thought begins... I jumped around from high school to high school, 3 in 3 years... and when you do that it's hard to keep friendships thriving. So needless to say when I got married, there was no "bridesmaid" not that I like that idea, I hate the wedding line... it has never been appealing to me, in fact the "formal wedding" is just so old fashioned, I hate high heels and dresses... need I say more? moving on... so after I got married and started working full time I think I finally realized that having female friends as an adult was nice.
I made one of my dearest friends while working, she comes to visit and spoils my kids like an aunt.. I've been able to connect with other women over the 13 years of my marriage, some dear friends in California and now here in New York... I have to say that yesterday I witnessed the true love of a dear friend of mine. I've been struggling with some pain in my arm for about 6 weeks, I've tried not to complain (except to Mike, that's what he's for, right?) but she caught me having an "off" moment and asked me what was wrong... I explained to her what was happening... within in an hour she was at my house, helping me with my kids (and the 2 I watch) doing my laundry, picking up toys and making me laugh... the pain in my arm was pretty bad most of the day and she totally saved me... just having a distraction made my day so much better... I guess that I just want to say how a "true friend" who serves you and loves you and takes care of you is worth so much. I hope that I can be friend like this to others, I've seen the true power of friendship and it's worth the effort. I think this entire situation came to a full head because Mike is on business in London this week and so feeling like a "single parent" for a moment I let my guard down the "super mom" cape was hung up and the human Wendy took over,... As my friend left to go home at 11 pm last night I just thought how wonderful it was to know that I have someone I can count on when my struggles get the best of me and I just need a little help... friendship is a gift from heaven and I am so thankful for those selfless people who see a need and fill in with their time and love.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




1 comment:
I consider you Mike and the kids an extention of my family. Thanks for the kindness you've always showed to me.
Post a Comment