Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Life Lesson *Very expensive Birthday burger!

So a couple of years ago it was my birthday, my 29th I believe, I had just finished volunteering in one of my daughters classes and picked up Noah from my friend, we lived within a block and a half of a Wendy's restraunt so we stopped on the way home for some lunch... hey it was my birthday.. not that I needed a reason to eat out since I prefer fast food to almost anything in life... sad and pathetic I know. Alas, we stopped, ordered a kids meal and a single burger combo, nothing fancy, nothing extra just plain burgers, I proceeded to the window to pay and realized I didn't have any cash, so I handed my debit card to the kid at the window, normally the card is swiped and returned right away, however, as I watched and waited for my card, I saw him walk away from the window with it... immediately I wanted to start pounding on the window, afterall I had recently seen a news broadcast where waiters have a little machine in their pocket, they swipe your card to gather the number and then give it back, days later charges start showing up on your card for things you didn't buy....I took a deep breath, because I really don't like to "rock the boat" or "cause a scene" or have people starring at me, as I lend out to knock on the window, 3 people showed up at the window with my card and the manager started to tell me how the kid was new and he had charged me $1,082.00 for my meal, ON MY DEBIT CARD, and amazingly it had been approved! Wow, I smiled, "that was a really expensive hamburger I said" :) She was a little surprised by my response and cautiously continued to tell me that they had tried to call the bank to have it reversed and were in the process of taking care of it. I told her I understood, gave her my home phone number, and asked for a copy of the receipt and her name and nubmer so I could follow up with her if I didn't hear back that afternoon. I got home, ate my very expenisve Birthday Lunch, not much of an appetitie knowing how much I had paid for it, when the phone rang and the manager was on the phone telling me that she had reversed the entire amount and wouldn't be charging me the $10.82 for the meal... i almost laughed, but knowing that this was there way of saying "sorry" I thanked her for taking care of it and hung up and called my bank to make sure it was all taken care of. It was... to this day and to my last day on this earth I know I will never have such an expensive meal... even if it ended up costing me $0. Watch those receipts in drive thru, you may end up paying a lot more than you think for your lunch.

2 comments:

Kim N said...

This made me laugh. It reminded me of an experience I had last year...but they didn't end up paying for mine!

http://whim.nordquist.org/?p=23
(sorry, I don't know the code to turn it into a link)

Edna said...

Wow, Wendy, I thought $5.00 hamburgers were unreasonable! I love your blog. I am putting it in my favorites! You are a good writer! Love the photos!
Love you,
Aunt Edna
http://grandmahenke.com