Sunday, July 15, 2007

Family Togetherness

Can I just start by saying that I LOVE CHURCH! Now it hasn't always been that way for me, in fact just last year right after we moved to NY I honestly DREADED going to church, I think was a little depressed not to mention having left my family after living near them for 2 + months and the realization that I would now be SO far away, not just an 8-12 hour drive like when we lived in California but REALLY far away. I think my change of heart had a lot to do with prayer and asking God to help me want to do what is right for me and for my family. It is amazing how Satan can slowly creep into our thoughts and start to make us doubt what is good in our lives. SO.... I just wanted to say that we had a great Sacrament meeting today, I sang in the ward choir (shocking, I know but I really loved it), it was a beautiful piece to the tune of AMAZING GRACE but the words were THE LORD IS MY SHEPHERD, I almost cried as we sang the song.

I guess I had a day of self re-commitment, I've decided that I need to focus on what is most important... I think I do this way too often, the recommitment thing, I wish I could just keep the focus set in one place but I tend to be human and fall away and catch myself and come back. So today not only for myself but for my children and family I've decided we are going to stay focused and committed to what is REALLY most important in life. So I'm stating our family goals here for all of our family and friends to witness....

#1 DAILY family scripture study

#2 DAILY family prayer (early morning is looking like the best since Mike is rarely home before 9 or 10 pm , sometimes later)

#3 WEEKLY Family Home Evening (this can be so easy at times and oh so difficult the next week) I know the prophets have encouraged us to make it a priority so we are going too.

#4 DAILY exercise (DUH)

#5 MONTHLY family Service (projects or actions)

#6 WEEKLY journal entries from all of us, I'm really encouraging the girls to keep a journal about their daily scripture reading, hopefully that will lead to other journal entries about their lives.

#7 More quality Family time, less TV, Video Games and Computer (ought oh, the Blog may suffer but it's worth the sacrifice if it means more time with the family =)


#8 Strengthen our personal testimonies of Jesus Christ, his life and his ministry on the earth by writing our testimony and sharing it.

#9 To share the gospel of Jesus Christ with everyone who will hear it. I love belonging to THE CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST OF LATTER DAY SAINTS.

I love how we are encouraged to share the gospel of Jesus Christ and that the THE GOSPEL HAS BEEN RESTORED to the earth today so that at all of Heavenly Fathers children can be blessed if they follow the prophets, I LOVE that we have a LIVING PROPHET - WHY wouldn't we? It only makes sense, I remember listening to a Relief Society lesson where the teacher was a convert and how while she was investigating the Church and heard that we believe in modern day prophets said that was the missing link and how excited she was to finally know the truth. I would think that most people who believe in the Bible and the prophets of old would understand the importance of a modern day prophet, and that Heavenly Fathers wants us to be Happy and has provided a way for us, the prophets play a role in that plan and we need them to help guide us. I'm so very thankful to know that we do have a prophet who leads and guides us according to the teachings of Jesus Christ, what an amazing and wonderful blessing for all of the world.

Along with that I love that my children ask soooo many questions, for instance, Hailey asked the other day "Mom, how do we know that our church is the right church? I mean, there are so many churches and so many good people who believe in Jesus" I have to say I was so excited about this question, we discussed how after Jesus Christ was crucified and atoned for the sins of the world that many of the people were very wicked and they didn't believe that Jesus was who he said he was and they killed his apostles.... Once the apostles were gone the Priesthood was taken from the earth as was THE GOSPEL OF JESUS CHRIST..... It was a very long time before it was restored....other CHRISTIAN faith's do not realize or recognize that THE GOSPEL OF JESUS CHRIST HAS BEEN RESTORED IN IT'S FULLNESS TO THE EARTH.... By the first Modern day prophet Joseph Smith, (at which time she recited the account of Joseph's first vision, where at the age of 14 and after attending many churches and feeling confused by the many different preaching of those who claimed to be witnesses of Christ, he prayed to ask Heavenly Father which Church he should join, just as the Bible had taught him (in JAMES 1:5 "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.") while praying he saw a bright light and looked up to see God the Father and his Son Jesus Christ in a vision, they told him not to join any church that they were all wrong! On a personal note: My favorite part of the Vision is when Heavenly Father points to the other being and says "THIS IS MY BELOVED SON HEAR HIM." what a strong witness to me that God and Jesus Christ are in fact 2 separate beings and not 1.

I was so amazed at her ability to recite the account that she has heard so many times, and so I asked her, "Hailey do you believe that Joseph Smith really prayed to Heavenly Father and that he had a vision and saw God and Jesus Christ who told him not to join any church that they were all wrong?" She without hesitation answered, "YES mom, I do". I told her how I also believed it and how if we ever question things that we should do exactly what Joseph Smith did and Pray in faith and ask for an answer, that Heavenly Father has given us prayer to communicate with him and that he wants to hear from us. She then said "HEY that is exactly what the missionaries teach people who want to know more about our church, they tell them to read the Book of Mormon and then pray to know if it is true for them"! I think I shouted BINGO.... You've got it.... Exactly, that is what it is all about.... It is up to us to find out for ourselves. So I encouraged her and Faith to read the Book of Mormon completely, we are studying the New Testament as a family so that would be a good way to be able to discuss how the Bible and Book of Mormon really do go together, they are both scripture from God that witness of the life of Jesus Christ.

I have come to know and talk to many friends and neighbors about religion, the one thing that I have learned is that most other religions it is left up to the interpretation of the preacher, or clergy to decide what to preach and how to interpret the Bible, I can imagine that this is what bothered Joseph Smith as he went from one meeting to another and the confusion that it created among the people, "THEY DRAW NEAR TO ME WITH THEIR LIPS, BUT THEIR HEARTS ARE FAR FROM ME, THEY TEACH FOR DOCTRINES THE COMMANDMENTS OF MEN, HAVING A FORM OF GODLINESS, BUT THEY DENY THE POWER THEREOF." J.S. History

In fact as we had scripture study this evening we came across this passage: "THIS PEOPLE DRAWTH NIGH UNTO ME WITH THEIR MOUTH, AND HONOURETH ME WITH THEIR LIPS; BUT THEIR HEART IS FAR FROM ME. BUT IN VAIN THEY DO WORSHIP ME TEACHING FOR DOCTRINES THE COMMANDMENTS OF MEN". MATTHEW 15:8-9.

The fact that no matter what "mormom" church you enter on Sunday to worship in the SAME gospel is being taught, it is all organized and from God, I love that we get to be involved and that we don't just sit and listen to one preacher each week, but that the members actually prepare the talks, teach the lessons and are part of everything. The gospel is for everyone, we all can receive joy from it. I am so absolutey speechless at the knowledge that my children have with regard to the Gospel of Jesus Christ, they have much stronger tesimonies than I did at their ages.

I feel like this has turned into my testimony so I guess I will just finish by saying that I am so very thankful for the Book of Mormon (another testament of Jesus Christ) I have often thought to myself, if I wasn't raised in the Church would I seek after it? Would I have the desire to want to find the TRUTH? Would I? I honestly don't know, so I am even more grateful for having been blessed with it in my life. It only makes sense that the there would be "ANOTHER" record of the people living here in the AMERICA'S during the time of Christ, how wonderful that I am alive at the time when Jospeh Smith restored the gospel and translated this very sacred book of scripture, that can witness to me and everyone who reads it of the truthfulness of the life of Christ and his ministry, to all those who question "mormonism" I can only say, "read the book of Mormon, Pray, and decide for yourself if you think it is true"

For me, even in times of my own questioning, doubting, self learning, I have always known it to be true, and only because I've "asked" in prayer. I can't imagine life without my children and I am so very grateful for the PLAN OF SALVATION that teaches us how it all works and comes together, that we lived before this life, that we made the choice to follow Christ in Heaven, that we are here on earth to be tested to prove our faithfulness to our loving Heavenly Father who sent his son, Jesus Christ, to the earth to live and die and atoned for my sins, that even though it isn't easy that I have a PART to play that I must take upon me the name of Christ through baptism, and in return I can repent and be forgiven of my sins through the atonement of Jesus Christ, I know that we are not just saved, but that by living the gospel, keeping the commandments, serving others and doing all that we can, then come judgement day I know that my Heavenly Father will know the intents of my heart and that he is merciful and will show grace to those who were faithful, believed and lived according to his teachings. And that if I am faithful and do everything that I can, the gospel teaches us that

FAMILIES CAN BE TOGETHER FOREVER...

I hope that these thoughts uplift you this day. May the spirit be with you and guide you as I pray it will me and my family. I am glad that I had this chance to share my feelings. Hugs to you Wendy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Wendy! I love this blog! You are just awesome! I love when you have those moments of re-commitment. I'm also guilty of having too many of them which means I have at some point become less committed. Your kids are awesome and I love all the cute pictures you have up of them. What a fun summer you guys have had! I feel like such a bad mom lately cuz we just haven't done much at all! But money has just been a struggle and it is so expensive to travel anywhere just for gas alone!!! I know excuses excuses.... Anyway I'm so happy that you are happy! I have been struggling with being content at home and thinking I want to be more than 'just a mom' but I'm doing better lately and grasping again my enjoyment of domestication. My kids started school yesterday and they are so excited. Jaylie goes to kindergarten! I start teaching preschool again sep 5 and Dane goes with me for that. So that will get me back into a routine and I hope I can get my attitude adjusted to be excited about preschool again. DeeJay's dad is coming to live with us around the first of september... could be quite a life challenge. We'll see how it goes! I must admit I'm a little stressed about it. But if it were one of my parents I would want them to be able to come live with me so I again just need to adjust my attitude a little or maybe alot for that one...lol! Anyway keep me posted on how you are doing with your family goals... maybe it will give me the inspiration I need to get my life more on track! Love you so much!! Love, Cheri